Re: Co-60 Chemical Comp. -Reply

Patrick,

I worked in the Ga Tech reactor a number of years back and before the large Co-60 sources (that were maintained in a "hot cell" for integrity checks of apparati) were encapsulated, they displayed significant "flaking" or spalling.  As a matter of fact, we couldn't figure how those flakes were getting out of the hot cell until we spotted  a cockroach carrying one across the floor.  That's when it was decided that the sources had to be encapsulated.

Doug Watson
Deputy Radiation Safety Officer
Medical College of Georgia