Radioactivity in biofuels, peat etc.

Dear Radsafers,

I was reading over again the questions about radioactivity in
woods etc. There is one thesis work that may interest some of
you - by Robert Hedvall at Studsvik (about 60 miles south of
Stockholm). His report is about radioactivity in biofuels,
peat etc. Most of it is in English. I recently had a contact
with Robert and he explained that there are no simple "rules
of thumb" for the radioactivity amounts released per GWh
(giga - hard "G") when burning biofuels and peat. This has
to do with the type of furnace, system for purification of
gases, and other factors. Most of this fuel-energy production
systems are different from one another.

I am sure that you can find some of Robert's publications in
journals like Health Physics or Environmental Radioactivity
(I cannot remember where the articles were published).
Robert's email if I remember right: robert.hedvall@studsvik.se
If it doesn't work, try r.hedvall@studsvik.se  or use
info@studsvik.se

Studsvik is a company dealing with nuclear technology, nuclear
waste and nuclear instruments. The website (English) is
http://www.studsvik.se

Sincerely Yours,

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com
Depts. Medical Radiation Biology and Medical Radiation Physics,
Karolinska Institutet, Box 260,
S-171 76 Stockholm,
Sweden