Re: Radioactivity in biofuels, peat etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Björn Cedervall <bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Date: 19 July 1998 09:16
Subject: Radioactivity in biofuels, peat etc.

Hi Radsafers

Here is my first contribution!

I'm sure that in the mid 1980s, the Central Electricity Generating Board
(government owned), here in the UK did a survey of the amount of
radioactivity discharged by their coal burning power stations, relative to
the amount discharged by their nuclear power stations. I'm sure the results
showed that the discharges were very similar.

Now of course, since privatisation, the fossil fuel generators are not keen
to publicise the fact that they discharge as much radioactivity as the
"nukes". They have enough problems playing down the SO-2 and CO-2 problems.

When you burn 4 - 5 tonnes of coal per minute, the odd Bq per tonne adds up
over 24 hours.

Dave Hoyle

dave.djh@btinternet.com