Uranium Analysis

Dear Radsafers:

I was recently reviewing a licensee request that delt with Uranium.  In the
original request, the U content was determined chemically.  We asked
them to take more samples, and these were analyzed with alpha spec.
The second samples showed about twice as much Uranium than the first
samples.  I called the company to ask them if they had any theories as to
why this was so.  They said that they had the same question and asked
their HP consultant.  The consultant told them that it was because of the
different type of analysis.  The HP said he trusted the alpha spec more
but that this may just be his HP bias.

What do you people out in HP land know about this?  Is there a reason to
think that one analysis is more reliable than the other?  Has anyone
studied this question?

I appreciate any help ya'll can give me.

Joelle Key
TN-DRH
jkey@mail.state.tn.us