RE: Uranium Analysis

Joelle,

There are a few avenues of inquiry you may pursue.  First, the chemical
analysis reports the concentration/amount in mass units in all
likelihood while the alpha spec results are in activity units.  To
compare the two, someone had to assume some isotopic mix, which because
of different half-lives of the various isotopes could contribute some
error.  Second, some of the alpha energies for the uranium isotopes are
similar in energy and a given alpha peak may consist of counts from
alpha particles emitted from multiple isotopes.  Again, with different
half-lives for these isotopes, the "true" activity represented by any
given alpha peak may have some error associated with it.  And if this
activity is converted to mass units, the results will differ from a
technique that measures the mass directly.

Any other ideas, anyone?

Philip

Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP
Carolina Power & Light Company