Re: Uranium Analysis

     Joelle,

     In bioassay and environmental samples analyzed isotopically for
     natural uranium, U-234 activity is often higher than U-238 activity,
     even though you would expect them to be in equilibrium and to have
     equal activities.  I have heard this attributed to higher
     'environmental mobility' of U-234 relative to U-238, although I've
     never seen an exact explanation of how this occurs.

     (As an aside, I'd be interested in such an explanation if anyone else
     in RADSAFE can provide it or direct me to it; I vaguely seem to
     remember it having to do with U-234 passing through a couple of
     different chemical species, namely thorium and protactinium, following
     the decay of U-238.)

     On the other hand, when you chemically determine uranium content
     (mass), you're looking at U-238 almost exclusively, since it comprises
     almost the entire mass of natural uranium (very long half-life = very
     low specific activity, or conversely, very high mass per unit
     activity).

     So if the final answer from your alpha spec determination incorporates
     results from U-234 and assumes it is in equilibrium with U-238, this
     could partially explain the higher than expected result.

     I don't know if this would apply to whatever you're sampling, but it
     might be worth checking.

     Vincent King, CHP
     vincen.king@doegjpo.com