RE: Generally Licensed Po-210 Static Eliminators

Wes:

It is hard to get a handle on Po-210 devices, although the exempt quantity
is 0.1 mCi. Generally, they are distributed as static eliminators, not
"radioactive sources"  so the users don't even know they are purchasing
radioactive materials. (The same as smoke detectors) Training on our side
won't work. The vendor doesn't inquire whether or not we have a license, and
the user doesn't know enough to ask. We only see these sources when they
decay away and don't work, then someone thinks to look at the small label
and notices the radiation symbol. This just happened last month. Even though
they've decayed to nothing, we still have to put them in the rad trash
because our license only allows decay with half-lives less than 100 days.

In answer to your question, we WOULD purchase, inventory, wipe test and
dispose the sources if the distributors were more stringent in observing the
regulations about exempt quantities.

Jim Herrold, Radiation Safety Officer
herrold@uwyo.edu

University of Wyoming