Re: philosophical curiosity in a long summer afternoon

Brian Gaulke
07/22/98 12:53 PM

Based on data in the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, the annual input of
solar radiation at the earth's surface, ignoring the effects of clouds
(i.e., assuming clear skies) is about 1.6E24 joules/annum.  This is about
100,000 times the annual energy output of 300  1000 MWe nuclear generating
stations.  Thus, on a global scale, the effect of the nuclear electricity
production is insignificant.  (I was not able to find data easily
convertible into total energy production.  I don't know what fraction
nuclear electricity represents of total energy production, although I
believe it is on the order of 10% of total electricity production.)
However, locally you have about 2 GW of waste heat being dumped by each
nuclear reactor.  Depending on the power density associated with the method
of dumping the waste heat, this can approximate, exceed, or greatly exceed
local solar radiation inputs and can potentially affect local weather
patterns.  I don't have the reference handy, but I recall reading in a
climatology textbook that some occurrences of freak weather systems (severe
localized storm activity) had been linked speculatively with high waste
heat output from local industrial activities, and that some statistical
correlations exist between large industrial waste heat sources and changes
in local weather patterns.

Brian R. Gaulke
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau