I-131 Therapy & Contamination -Reply

William,

Here, on the rare occasions a treatment is performed, we first cover the
(linoleum) floor with plastic sheeting, and then cover the plastic with bed
linen.   Both layers are stuck down with gaffer tape.

This works reasonably well, provided that not too much wheeled
equipment (trolleys, drip stands, and the shield) are moved around in the
room during the treatment.

So far, we haven't had a spill on the flooring, and the sheets are not
"hot" when removed, unlike the sheets actually on the bed.

If you have any specific questions, you're welcome to email me :

markh@nch.edu.au

Regards,

Mark Hanlon,
Radiation Safety Officer,
The New Children's Hospital,
P.O. Box 3515,
PARRAMATTA, NSW, 2124
Australia

Phone  61 2 9845 3324      FAX  61 2 9845 0831

email     markh@nch.edu.au