RE: I-131 Therapy & Contamination

Patrick:

We've tried washing down our sinks with cold iodine solution (both KI and
Betadine), and were not too impressed (we have porcelain sinks however, and
they are quite porous).

Instead, we line our sinks with 4 or 6 mil vinyl (visquane).  We cut a hole
at the bottom a little larger than the drain, securely tape the plastic to
the bottom of the sink and the drain, and punch small holes in the tape
(lining up with the holes in the metal strainer covering the drain).  With
this method, we usually see contamination only on the metal stainer for the
drain and in the drain itself.

Hope this helps,

Gerald Feldman
RSO
University of California, Irvine Medical Center
Orange, CA
gfeldman@uci.edu

... >I've also been toying with the idea of washing down some of the metal