Re: Emergency dose guidance

In a message dated 98-07-24 09:07:24 EDT, MCNAUGHT@lanl.gov (Mike McNaughton)
writes:

<<
 I have seen guidance for doses "limits" in an emergency, written in several
 DOE documents: 25 rem for lifesaving, >25 rem for lifesaving with fully
 informed volunteers. I am told that similar guidance has been issued by
 other US government agencies, perhaps the EPA. Can anyone tell me where
 this is written?

See EPA "Manual of Protective Action Guides and Protective Actions for Nuclear
Incidents," EPA 400-R-92-001, May 1992.

Dose Limit     Activity
 5 rem           All
10 rem          Protecting valuable property, lower dose not practicable
25 rem          Lifesaving or protection of large populations, lower dose
                           not practicable
>25 rem        Lifesaving or protection of large populations only on a
voluntary
                          basis to persons fully aware of the risks involved.

Glenn
GACMail98@aol.com