Astronauts

Hello, List.

I've been stitting here in the wings just listening to the discussion
on astronaut doses.  Some where in my education - a class that is - I
remember working on a dose estimate for a hypothetical astronaunt.
The problem took us two weeks to do (then again we were only students
at that time and there were several parts to the problem).  I
vaguely remember the dose estimate as being some what high and that
the highest contributors to the dose was from the high energy heavy
particles and protons.  At that point in my education, I thought the
dose we estimated was REALLY high.  However, experience and
additional education have tempered that opinion.

With some reflection on a national hero dying, may I say he
accomplished a lot in his 75 years of life.  Consider the
technology they had when he was in the space program.  I'm still
amazed how they were able to carry it all off in those days.
No puns intended, but technology has grown so quickly after
that (yes I'm still a young pup).  I can't imagine the courage,
determination, training, and curiosity to get into space.  I beleive
that should be remembered, not his ailments.

Things get really muddled, scientific and unscientific, when a death
occurs - emotions, we humans all have to blame or defend.  Sometimes
even in the best circumstances, the causes of death can not be
clearly identified.  I'd like to think that whatever his ailment, he
lived as he had hoped for and that he was content with his life.
This is what should be thought and not necessary "what" killed him at
this point in time.  And to think of how many people are dying on our
roadways each day not seeing the age of 75.

No matter the disease, those individuals who live their life as they
hope for before they die are better off than we who may live to 100
and not be satisfied.  Sometimes science has to take a back seat to
reality and the "human" experience of emotions and desires.  For
these are what drive man to advancement in technology, literature,
medicine, ......  When one forgets or looses the human element, one
looses a great deal more.

As far as an astronaut study, I'm interested.  Can help but be
interested,  as one day I envision my decendents out there in space.

Anyway, my musings on the topic.

Bernadette Baca
TDH - Bureau of Radiation Control
Uranium Licensing Project
1100 West 49th
Austin, TX 78756 - 3189
(512) 834 - 6688  ext: 2206

-My supervisor has not read or approved this message,
much less agrees with my point of view.  Therefore, use at your own risk and humor.

mailto:Bernadette.Baca@tdh.state.tx.us

"Beneath this chaos is a really big mess." - Jim Davis