Re: Re[2]: Exposed mice pass increased risk of leukemia to offsp

Recent work on human placental transfer of Pu by my colleague John Russell
at the US Transuranium and Uranium Registries was reported in the most
recent USTUR Annual Report, also available on our web page:
http://hano.tricity.WSU. edu/~ustur/    The concluding sentence from that
report is as follows:  "The results from this single case suggest that
plutonium is selectively concentrated in placenta, perhaps as a
discrimination mechanism to limit fetal uptake."

Ron Kathren, Director
US Transuranium and Uranium Registries
Washington State University

A report is now being prepared for publication in the peer reviewed
literatureAt 08:10 AM 7/24/98 -0500, jeff.king@srs.gov wrote:

>     Is there a credible pathway for plutonium to travel from injected male
>     mouse to female mouse to the fetus?  In other words, could the
>     increased leukemia rate actually be from fetal exposure to Pu-239
>     rather than an inherited genetic effect.  Also, with only 30 days post
>     injection, is it possible that the sperm cells themselves were
>     exposed?
>
>     Beyond the lack of a meaningful sample size, it seems that there are
>     too many other possible explanations to justify claiming discovery of
>     an inherited effect.
>
>     Jeff King
>     Facility Representative
>     In-Tank Precipitation Facility