Re: Studies of Cancer Risk

In a message dated 98-07-24 18:32:59 EDT, Holloway3@aol.com (Robert Holloway)
writes:

<<It is interesting that there are dozens upon dozens of organizations
dedicated to explaining and (perhaps) reducing the very small risk that is
associated with the use of radioactive materials while ignoring the much
greater and more important risks associated with common things such as
smoking, lack of exercise, abuse of alcohol etc.>>

It's amusing how Mr. Holloway's description of certain "organizations" could
apply (unintentionally to be sure) to the Health Physics Society.  While HPS
expends vast (more or less) resources pursuing its express objective of "the
protection of people and the environment from unnecessary exposure to
radiation," neither Mr. Holloway nor I would consider the HPS to be
"irrational."

Also, consider the hours spent every day by health physicists "reducing the
very small risk that is associated with the use of radioactive materials."
Wouldn't their time and the resources committed to their training and support
be better spent reducing "the much greater and more important risks associated
with common things such as smoking, lack of exercise, abuse of alcohol etc."?
Applying the logic of some Radsafers, not only would their time be better
spent reducing these greater risks, but it would be immoral for them not to do
so.

The more we try to be different, the more we are the same.

Glenn
GACMail98@aol.com