Re: Studies of Cancer Risk -Reply

>>> <GACMail98 wrote on Fri 24 Jul 98  17:54 >>>
In a message dated 98-07-24 18:32:59 EDT, Holloway3@aol.com
(Robert Holloway)
writes:

<<It is interesting that there are dozens upon dozens of
organizations.... while ignoring the much greater and more
important risks associated with common things such as smoking,
lack of exercise, abuse of alcohol etc.>>

It's amusing how Mr. Holloway's description of certain
"organizations" could
apply (unintentionally to be sure) to the Health Physics Society.
While HPS expends vast (more or less) resources pursuing its
express objective of "the protection of people and the environment
from unnecessary exposure to radiation," neither Mr. Holloway nor I
would consider the HPS to be "irrational." .......

The more we try to be different, the more we are the same.

Glenn
GACMail98@aol.com

Glenn,

Your preaching almost had me converted... until I re-read the
Objective statement of the HPS.  I believe there's a reason that the
Objective doesn't end with the sentence you quoted, but in fact
ends with a statement more consistent with Robert's sentiments:

"... The Society is thus concerned with understanding, evaluating,
and controlling the risks from radiation exposure relative to the
benefits derived."

BTW, what I find to be immoral is the perpetuation of the myth that
ALL exposures to radiation are harmful, which is a common view
held by the public and many radiation workers, perpetuated by
regulatory agencies and aided and abetted by "esteemed scientific
bodies" that include health physicists among them.

While many HPs and regulators support such policies as harmless
-- when people see a higher risk in receiving a 10 mrem dose than
the risk associated with driving a car, especially without wearing
safety belts -- something is very wrong.

v/r
Michael
*************************
Michael S. Ford, CHP
Texas Radiation Advisory Board
Address:
Radiation Safety Department
Battelle Pantex
Amarillo, TX
806.477.5727 phone
806.477.4198 fax
mford@pantex.com

"Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions
that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny
the evidence of his senses in order to justify his logic."

Dostoevsky, Notes from the Underground