Re: Re[2]: Leukemia in Astronauts

> A person has died, and even a dead person has the right that
> intimacy should be respected.

This thread and interpretations have taken on a life of its own.
These will be my last comments on the entire thread. If there are
those who still want to take a phrase and interpret what was in
one's mind when the thoughts were put down on paper, so be it.
This whole episode is indicative of the mass media attention
regarding the Clinton - Intern escapade.

1. The thread started when one questioned whether or not the fact
that Alan Shepard (MIGHT) have died from leukemia, and whether
there was cause to look into the cosmic radiation and the onset of
leukemia. A simple enough question.

2. I responded, no, there was no reason. I stated that he died at
74. I also then in my own way, to demonstrate that any attempt to
correlate a leukemia death solely based on the fact that the
individual was an astronaut was as ludicrous as attempting to
make that same correlation based on all of the other factor's in an
individual's life. Unfortunately, based on Franz's dissection of my
post, I also included the individual's "amount of sex". I don't know
about anyone on Radsafe, but I don't know how much sex any
individual has, unless I happen to be the participant. It was just a
human factor, and environmental factor. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. The above highlights that I was not focusing on his sex life, nor
any other part of his life. This holds true for any other individual who
happens to be involved in some form of ionizing or non-ionizing
radiation, and is unfortunate to have died. The initial implication of
the thread was,, he was exposed to radiation, is there a reason to
seek out a correlation. If he were an X-Ray Technologist, would the
same question have been asked?

4. My father died of leukemia 10 months ago. I said he wasn't
exposed to any extensive radiation or other forms of environmental
causative agents. Appears "some" missed that association and the
reasoning behind my original comments. I said people die. I don't
know the "amount of sex" in my father's life. I know there were at
least 4 occasions he MUST have had sex. THAT wasn't the point.

5. Dissection of one's comments is going to happen. It would be
better to read the entire thought and if one then disagrees with the
overall conclusion, opinion or innuendos, believing them to be
unscientific, then take exception to the comments. But please,
don't insinuate that I (personally) was attacking a man's lifestyle
when all that was being stated was, there is no logical reason, no
scientific data that even suggests that there could possibly be a
statistical correlation to a man's death, and the sole factor that he
also happened to be an astronaut. and in so being, was exposed to
cosmic radiation, as have been many others for even longer
durations.

At this point, I will cease attempting to justify what I said in my
original post on the subject. Accept it or reject it. That is up to
those who still want to pursue the "interpretative" words in the post.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205

ICN Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer