Re: Re[2]: Leukemia in Astronauts

At 07:53 24.07.1998 -0500, you wrote:

>     One might suspect that most professionals and anyone who writes for a
>     living would be able to recognize irony, hyperbole, and/or sarcasm.
>     It was clear to me what Sandy meant, and I suspect it was clear to
>     most everyone else.

Some time ago I was accused by a large number of RADSAFERs of being
sarcastic and ironic, even there was a cry to ban me from RADSAFE. Needless
to say that at least the same number of RADSAFER supported my views.
Needless to say as well that I understood, what Sandy meant, but I did not
like the way it was expressed and I still do not. A person has died, and
even a dead person has the right that intimacy should be respected. We all
- hopefully - know how ridiculous any thought about radiation exposure as
the cause of this persons death is. I lost an uncle in the fifties, who
died of leukemia, who never had any contact with any radioactive material,
nor ever had a flight in an aircraft.

>     Besides which, I doubt the "mass media" is patrolling RADSAFE looking
>     for HP's to edit and quote out of context.

It is not the question of RADSAFE, but probably some people will make
similar comments to the mass media?

My comment was not related to any radiation safety issue, but to the way
the cause of death of a person was commented. Would anybody like to have
the death of his/her mother/father commented in such a way ?????

Best wishes,

_________________________________
>Subject: Re: Leukemia in Astronauts
>Author:  schoenho@via.at at Mailhub
>Date:    7/23/98 6:12 PM
>

>At 16:21 23.07.1998 -0500, you wrote:
>>> Nobody
>>> questions the car the other thousands/millions of leukemia victims did
>>> drive, but to question the amount of sex somebody had in relation to the
>>> leukemia incidence is simply unacceptable and disgusting.
>>>
>>> All of you who made comments in this direction should be ashamed.
Sandy, I