Re: Short lived waste

>Shirley,
>we primarily use delay and decay, you just need to ensure that the non
>radiological problems with the waste are looked at carefully. This can lead
>to a requirement in one lab to have 2 or even 3 bins for 32P (as an
>example) where one bin gets 32P contaminated pathology waste with heavy
>metal content, another bin gets 32P contaminated gloves and tubes and the
>third bin gets 32P contaminated human products.
>
>Make sure the area staff keep good simple records of stored bags of waste
>so you can be sure you have kept them for 10 half lives, and most important
>of all ensure the bags are labelled with good detail of radiological and
>non radiological interest and the labels will not fade or fall off.
>
>Regards
>Ant
>

>Anthony Barber
>RSO - Queensland University of Technology
>ph  61 7 3864 3566
>fax 61 7 3864 3993
>a.barber@qut.edu.au
>******************************
>Why not?
>******************************

Hi: Ant

Thanks for the reply.

We generate about two to four drums of short lived dry waste (Cr-51, I-125,
P-32, S-35) each week. The waste is compacted about three to one in volume.
The waste then decayed in separate drums by different isotope, and hold for
10 1/2 lives.

The problem we are running into is the survey before releasing as no-rad waste.

1. What's the best survey procedure after decay. How do you handle cross
contamination? e.g if 	some long lived isotope (H-3, C-14) got into P-32
waste drum, do you do any sampling while probe survey them?

2.What is the allowable radioactive lever do you use for releasing the
decayed waste?

3. Do you deface all radioactive signs, labels if the waste directly goes
to incinerator?

4. How do you handle the RCRA waste?

Thanks!

Shirley