Re: Soil Scanning for Cs-137

Dave:

If you specifically want to detect Cs137 and rule out other nuclides, there
are several approaches.   A portable GeLi detector is one approach
(Canberra or EG&G ??).   There are several mfg's that make portable MCA's
with NaI detectors (I'm familiar with Oxford - but there are others).
There is also a nice compact unit made by Exploranium (GR-130) that
incorporates a NaI detector, a count per second mode, a uR/hr mode and an
MCA mode, all in one instrument.   It should have enough counts to identify
Cs137 if you are in the 50 - 100 pCi/g range.

Tony LaMastra
alamastra@enter.net

> From: Dave Biela <BielaD@wv.doe.gov>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Soil Scanning for Cs-137
> Date: Thursday, July 30, 1998 3:09 PM
>
> We are looking into instruments (hand held) to use for and research on
scanning  soil for Cs-137.  We would be trying to see background
concentrations up to about 1000pCi/g.  Any information about experience
with this type work would be appreciated.