Re: Model 17

I'm sorry I've taken so long to respond to this message; I guess I've been
waiting for others to reply.  Anyway, here are my thoughts and opinions
regarding this matter:

1.  Yes, the Model 17 ion chamber has a 5-minute warm up time.  This fact
is featured prominently in my Ludlum catalog, so it shouldn't be a surprise
which requires a "warning."

2.  Like any air-vented ion chamber, humidity is in fact a problem.  I,
too, have experienced problems using air-vented ion chambers (including,
but not limited to Ludlum's) in high-humidity environments, such as Georgia
in the summer.  I used it as a learning experience about selecting the
proper instrument for the task at hand.  All radiation detection
instruments have strong points and weak points, which is why there are many
types to choose from.  I have found Ludlum to be a fine company to work
with, and the staff goes to extraordinary lengths to support their products
when needed.  I concede that the fact of humidity problems in ion chambers
is not publicized (by any instrument manufacturer I'm aware of), but the
buyer must bear some responsibility for considering environmental
conditions when purchasing any equipment.

3.  I have also used Atlantic Nuclear as a supplier for many years, and
have never received anything but the best of service from them.  They have
never, ever, ever balked at the return of a product that did not meet our
needs.  I suspect Ms. Steva may have sent the message during an angry
moment without fully considering what she was doing.

Okay; I'll step off my soapbox now.

Paul R. Steinmeyer
Health Physicist
Radiation Safety Associates, Inc.
prstein@radpro.com
http:\\www.radpro.com

These opinions are mine and not my company's.