Re: Respiratory protection and source security

> does anyone see any relationship between this philosophy, and one of not
> locking doors, and requiring other obstacles  which cause barriers to safe
> travel between laboratories, especially when carrying materials etc, in
> light of the potential for "theft" of licensed materials in the
> laboratory?

No, I do not agree with your premise. In the case of respiratory
protection, wearing a respirator can be quite intimidating to an
individual. There is a real physical stress placed on the individual
when wearing a respirator, especially in a closed, dark and hot
environment. Communication is affected, and, it has been shown
that work productivity can be reduced by as much as 40% when
wearing a respirator. It is for that reason, the NRC requires that a
TEDE ALARA Evaluation be performed, to determine of the total
dose to be received would be less when NOT wearing the
respirator, as compared to the situation if they would wear one.

Having locked doors and other obstacles in my opinion is more of a
nuisance, and not a physical stress on the individual. Perhaps in
some individuals, the thought of spilling or dropping what they are
delivering, is a stress, of sorts, but can not be equated to that of a
respirator being worn by an individual.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
ICN Plaza
3300 Hyland Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer