Former Nuclear Testing Site Comes to Terms with Past

Former Nuclear Testing Site Comes to Terms with Past
August 1, 1998

KURCHATOV, Kazakhstan -- (Agence France Presse) Outsiders call this city
Konnechnaya -- the Final Stop -- but the young scientists and military
personnel who arrived here to develop the nuclear bomb for the Soviets
and test its effects on the population thought themselves lucky.

Lydia Sysoyeva, 52, remembers moving to the closed city of Kurchatov
with her husband, an engineer at the National Nuclear Center, and the
droves who came to work at the nearby Polygon in the 1950s and 60s.

"The town that first struck my eyes was a green oasis on the steppe,"
said Sysoyeva, now the administrator of what is fast becoming a ghost
town.

"All the buildings were inhabited. Each year, one or two five-story
buildings were constructed, and the entire population was young."

Today, Kurchatov is a town of 10,000 with blocks of apartment buildings
abandoned after more than half the population packed their furniture
onto railroad boxcars and left in 1993 and 1994.

Just as the radiation from the more than 460 nuclear tests the Soviets
conducted from 1949 to 1989 at the Polygon -- now a virtually barren,
restricted area of 18,500 square kilometers (7,400 square miles) --
still sets Geiger counters beeping, the region's past weighs heavily on
people's minds.

Nearly every adult remembers the trauma of seeing the modern-day symbol
of Armageddon -- the mushroom cloud -- followed by a blinding light and
tremors. For many, the monthly or bimonthly nuclear tests were a part of
life.

Villagers calmly recall how authorities told them to leave their homes,
even during above-ground tests, and how they lay on the banks of the
Irtysh River with their arms over their heads.

But others, like Aleksander Shevchenko, 71, a former forced laborer who
helped build a metro, bridges and buildings inside the Polygon so the
Soviets could see how a nuclear war would affect urban structures, are
still suffering emotional trauma.

Shevchenko, who channels his emotions into horrific oil paintings of the
mushroom clouds, watched the first atomic bomb in 1949 with pride at
having caught up with the Americans. But his pride was short-lived.

During the tests "everything went white, a frightful white. There was no
light. These rays penetrated a person through like x-rays."

"What happened to us was we were absent at this moment. This explosion
was unsettling. You watch yourself as if from the side. ...It's shock.
Then gradually you come to, and the real suffering starts here," he
said.

Only after the Nevada-Semipalatinsk Movement lobbied to stop the testing
did the population, which today suffers from higher than normal rates of
cancer, blood diseases, mental retardation and grotesque deformities
like babies born with cone-shaped heads, learn of radiation's effects.

Dr. Boris Gusev, today the deputy director of the Kazakh Research
Institute for Radiation Medicine and Ecology in Semipalatinsk, knew
before many others that the Soviets were using the local population as
human guinea pigs.

Gusev worked in one of four dispensaries, institutions created in 1957
to secretly study the effects of radiation by telling "patients" they
were being treated for an infectious disease.

Gusev, who said he could have been shot or imprisoned had he told his
patients the real nature of his work, is not apologetic. "Now I feel
very good because the things I knew and saw ... I could somehow help
these people. I helped them from the first second of my work to the
present day," he said.

Surprisingly, few Kurchatov residents, unlike those in the villages
around the Polygon, complain about the effects of the nuclear tests on
their health.

They are more concerned with moving on. Privatization is only now coming
to Kurchatov since it became an open city last September, Sysoyeva said.

Ironically, the past that destroyed so many lives still provides the
livelihood of most of Kurchatov's residents -- the Polygon and the
Nuclear Center are the main employers.

Kairat Serimov, whose youngest brother has Down's syndrome, works at a
nuclear reactor in the Polygon, but he doesn't consider radiation a
problem.

"Here where we live it's normal. If I lived anywhere else, there
wouldn't be enough radiation," he said.