Re: Plutonium retention

There are numerous publications that deal with the retention and excretion
of Pu and Am in the human body, and over the years a number of biokinetic
models have been developed. Pu and Am retention are described in a number of
ICRP publications, notably 30, 48 and 71.  A new model for bothj Pu and Am
based on human postmortem tissue data was proposed by the United States
Transuranium and Uranium Registries and was published in Radiation
Protection Dosimetry 53:219-227, 1994.  A comparison of earlier Pu models
with actual human tissue data was published in Health Phuysics 60:481-488, 1991.

I invite you to check the USTUR web page (www.hano.tricity.wsu.edu/~ustur/
and to contact us for further information about Pu and Am.  Our toll free
telephone number is:  1-800-375-9317; I can be reached directly at 509-375-5643.

Ronald L. Kathren
Professor and Director
United States Transuranium and Uranium Registries
Washington State University
2710 Univeristy Way
Richland, WA 99352

1-800-375-9317