Re: Plutonium retention

On Wednesday 5. August you wrote:

'I am trying to find information on the retention of amerecium and plutonium
in the body.  Specifically, the question is:  if performing bioassay
sampling for amerecium and plutonium in urine or feces and a hit is
detected, how much higher is the concentration in the body.  I have found
the dose conversion factors in Eisenbud's Environmental Radioactivity and
they are useful.  Any information on retention functions would be very
useful.'

With reference to ICRP 30 (Limits for Intakes of Radionuclides by
Workers)depends the intake whether it is an inhalation or an ingestion, it
depends to the solution class (we use W), it depends to the particle size
(we use 1 micrometer), it depends on the time between the incorporation date
and the measurement of the feces and last it depends whether it is a
continuous intake or a single incident.

ICRP 30 give table values for all of these dependencies. You can calculate
the intake by the following equation:

Intake=activity of the feces / table value.

Best regards

Peter Hewing
Radiation Protection of
Siemens Karlstein