Re: Dose Rate From Scattered Radiation

This type of calculation is frequently performed in designing medical x-ray
facilities.  NCRP 49, "Structural Shielding Design and Evaluation for
Medical
Use of X-Rays and Gamma Rays of Energies Up To 10 MeV", evaluates scattered
radiation from Cs-137 (Ba-137m), starting on page 57.  I assume that other
medical physics texts also cover this.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

Radsafers:

I have been asked to calculate the dose rate from iron in a gamma
ray beam (Cs-137).  I would like to make the calculation without
going back to the Compton and Klein-Nishina equations.  Activity,
distances and scattering angle are known.

Surely this has been done before.  Any hints as to where?

I will need references as this may go to court.

Any help would be appreciated.  Meanwhile, I return to Compton,
K-N and the basics.

Jesse Coleman

RADSHOALS@AIRNET.NET