Re: Instrumentation for Emergencies -Reply

You said
>Sorry, folks, but we should never support answer c, no matter how high
>the dose rate seems to be.  Complete the med rescue first, and move
>injured away from the area.

The original said
>> ... for extremely high dose rates:
>>c. Do nothing until the experts arrive.

We use an instrument that reads up to 1,000 R/hr. Our training says:
if the dose rate is off scale, >1,000 R/hr: leave immediately, there is
GRAVE DANGER, supervisors in consultation with RCTs will make a plan, only
volunteers fully informed of the risk may proceed.

The victim has been receiving >1,000 R/hr for some time before the rescuers
arrive. You don't know how much greater than 1,000 R/hr it is. A previous
example like this was SL-1; the victim had no chance.

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)