Re: Instrumentation for Emergencies -Reply

Greetings,

Pancake(G-M) (Ludlum Model C-14??) calibrated  with
Cs-137 as beta/gamma counter and as an ion-chamber.
Good:
1)beta and gamma detection.
2)dual use; contamination detection and very wide exposure level range.
3) DURABLE?-fair

Bad:
1) poor gamma response vs. high beta response ~~1/10. will over/under
respond for the exposure with different than Cs-137 gamma/beta energy
spectrums and
yelds. For the emrgency purposes is good enough.
2) NO alpha detection option.
It Would not work for cituation if somebody would drop plutonium charge
- very low probability.

P.S.
May be eberline's the smart?? meter with multiple
probes(alpha,beta,gamma,
calibrated as ion chamber too) will be that a perfect meter(durable?
never have
droped one) for the emergency response team...But my personal
observation of people in those teams makes me to sceptical about their
ability to use
Smart-meter will multiple probes.
Simple is BETTER aspecially in emergency!!
If I would choose between quality of measurements and abillity to even
get any measurements; I, of course, choose Pancake(G-M counter) over
more complicated to
operate meter(S-meter) or other similar meter.

Nice, for everybody, weekend.

Emil
kerremba@pilot.msu.edu