Re: Radiation litigation and Judges Opinions

I suspect that judges are like the rest of us.  Some are wise and reasonable
and some are foolish and unreasonable.  Overall, I have been favorably
impressed with how judges are somehow able to accurately evaluate most cases
involving complex scientific issues.

In particular, the judge handling the Three Mile Island case a few years ago
refused to let the case go to a jury because she (I think it was a woman)
thought that there was no evidence of significant exposure of the population.
Given the very substantial influence of mistaken information out there in  the
general public,  it is likely that many judges will  be misled just as the
public is often misled. That this does not seem to be happening to a great
degree says something about the good sense of most judges.

R. Holloway

holloway3@aol.com