Re: Pathological science

Dear Julian,

The reference you look for is a speech, which was reprinted much
later in Langmuir, I. Pathological Science. Physics Today, 42:
36-48; 1989.

And do those criteria ever apply to the LNT discussion!

By the way, the discipline that can most rightfully claim Langmuir
as one of their own is Phyisical Chemistry.

Best regards

Fritz

Gibbs, S Julian wrote:

> The following quote may be applied to many of the arguments
> recently presented in the linear nonthreshold hypothesis
> controversy--to both sides, that is.  (It may also be
> applied to many other scientific issues, such as effects
> of low-frequency electromagnetic fields.)  It has been
> attributed to Nobel Laureate physicist-chemist (both claim
> him) Irving Langmuir, ca 1953:
>
> Pathological Science
> Causative agent of barely detectable intensity.
> Magnitude of effect independent of intensity of causative
>         agent.
> Magnitude of effect near limit of detectability.
> Claims of great accuracy.
> Theories contrary to experience.
> Criticisms met by ad hoc excuses.
>
> I have been unable to find the reference.  If anyone can
> identify the citation, please let me know.

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.
Principal
Sigma Five Associates
P.O. Box 14006