Subject: Pathological science
Author:  s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu at hubsmtp
Date:    8/12/98 8:34 AM

The following quote may be applied to many of the arguments
recently presented in the linear nonthreshold hypothesis
controversy--to both sides, that is.  (It may also be
applied to many other scientific issues, such as effects
of low-frequency electromagnetic fields.)  It has been
attributed to Nobel Laureate physicist-chemist (both claim
him) Irving Langmuir, ca 1953:

Pathological Science
Causative agent of barely detectable intensity.
Magnitude of effect independent of intensity of causative
     agent.
Magnitude of effect near limit of detectability.
Claims of great accuracy.
Theories contrary to experience.
Criticisms met by ad hoc excuses.

I have been unable to find the reference.  If anyone can
identify the citation, please let me know.