Re: Irradiation of Med Fruit Fly

	Why should you worry about mutations or any of the other issues
considered? The purpose of the project is to make a large number of males
sterile because females mate ony once and if the mating is with a sterile
male, no new medflies are produced. If essentially all males in an
area are sterile, the medfly population is eliminated. That is all that
matters. It doesn't matter whether there are other effects on those
irradiated, as they will all be dead very soon, and they will have no
progeny.

Of course, if you look at things from the viewpoint of the medflies, the
perspective is very different. But from the perspective of any pest
insects, humans are fantastically terrible murderers.

 Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260