Re: Salaries

     Hi Diane!

     You ask a good question.  I too have noticed that the salaries offered
     for HP positions seem a bit low for the responsibilities and
     experience required by the employment solicitations.  I have also
     noticed that many of the offerings in which salaries are stated are
     made by universities and state governments which seem to pay at a
     lower scale across the board (the rewards must be in the public
     service aspects).

     In my view, the lower pay scale for HP jobs may be due to the actual
     or perceived market for HPs.  This is illustrated by the following
     from a recent e-mail I received from a colleague:

          I am doing O.K., but academically, I am stagnant.  Courses
          at Georgia Tech are expensive and future for Nuke is pretty
          bleak (talk to Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and he would tell you all
          about it).  I'm still pursuing certification though.  Will
          take Part II next year.  I'm also taking graduate courses in
          Environmental Engineering and contemplating on changing
          job/location.

     There has also been considerable discussion in the past in the HP
     newsletter and to a lesser extent in the HP Journal about how
     overcrowded the HP profession is and how the job market for HPs has
     declined since the end of the cold war and since no new power plants
     have come on-line in the US for a couple of decades.  It seems that
     environmental engineering/management, hazmat, combined
     health/safety/environmental and other more generalized health
     protection fields are more in demand these days than HP.

     The positions being advertised are most likely being filled by
     qualified entry level as well as qualified and experienced individuals
     who believe that they aren't able to command higher salaries at
     present because of the current HP market as perceived in the previous
     paragraph.

     What is the answer?  I don't really know.  I recently completed a
     graduate course in industrial hygiene which was taught by Dr. Herman
     Cember.  His advice to the class was to expand our knowledge and
     experience beyond HP to encompass more general IH, safety, and
     environmental aspects of occupational/industrial health.  That way we
     make ourselves more flexible and valuable in the current job market.
     From my search through employment adds, I find that Dr. Cember has
     given us good advice.  Employers want to do much more with less and we
     as HPs can't afford to be "one trick ponies" in the present employment
     climate.

     Also, I believe that we as members of the HP profession and the HPS
     could learn a lot from the IHs/AIHA (see http://www.aiha.org and the
     Synergist), the SHRM (http://www.shrm.org) and other
     professions/organizations as to how to be aggressively activist in
     elevating, promoting, and protecting our profession in order to keep
     the compensation commensurate with the level of qualification
     professional HPs bring to the table.

     Henry

     alpha*beta*gamma*neutron*xray*alpha*beta*gamma

     Boyd H. Rose, CM, IHIT
     Radiation Protection Officer
     General Dynamics Land Systems Division
     E-mail:    roseb@gdls.com
     Telephone: (419) 221-8588
     Fax:       (419) 221-7026

     *xray*alpha*beta*gamma*neutron*xray*alpha*beta

     The opinions and comments expressed in this message are mine alone and
     do not in anyway reflect those of my employer.