X-ray surveys

We survey all x-ray equipment annually, including analytical
(diffraction & spectrographic), microscopes, accelerators (surveyed
quarterly), medical, industrial
(gauges and radiography).   In addition, all safety warning systems
(lights, indicators, etc) and interlocks are checked at the time of
the surveys.  Additional surveys are made following major maintenance
or disassembly of components that could cause external leakage.

An initial survey is always made whenever there is a new experimental
setup that is likely to cause a different leakage environment.   All
new devices are surveyed upon initial installation.

Much of this is driven by state regs which usually require these
survey frequencies.   For my major clients wheere I am the RSO, I
have taken the most restrictive (if reasonable) requirements and
developed a uniform policy.

Tony LaMastra
alamastra@enter.net