Re: Nuclear Carrier Arrives In SD

>I am wondering what all the fuss is about.  There are many nuclear powered
>submarines home ported just around the corner at Point Loma which is next to
>a very exclusive marina and neighborhood.  I would think that the numbers of
>reactors at Submarine Base San Diego would be a larger problem than a single
>dual reactor carrier.  As I remember, the residents around the sub base
>didn't have too many problems with the submarines.

On the other hand, the submarine reactors are a lot smaller (a quarter the
size?  a fifth?  I'm not sure; I was a submarine type and didn't care about
the targets much) than the carrier reactors. In addition, the subs are less
obvious than a great big carrier sitting at the pier, and they've been
there longer.  I can't remember how many subs there were at Point Loma when
I was stationed there, but I'd guess a dozen or so.  I agree it doesn't
make much sense, but there you have it.

Andy

Andrew Karam, MS, CHP
RSO, University of Rochester
(716) 275-3781 (voice)
(716) 256-0365 (fax)
akaram@safety.rochester.edu

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled  but a fire to be lighted"
 Plutarch