Nuclear Carrier Arrives In SD -Reply

Sandy,

If you are in contact with officials of the City of Coronado, you might offer them a
couple of suggestions.  First, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission reviews the
porting policies and the radiation control provisions of the Navy.  I have been
involved in these activities for the last decade or so and can offer reassurances and
a willingness to discuss radiological matters with them.  Second, a simple way for
the city to get some radiological instruments and capability is through the Health
Physics Society's Science Teachers' Workshops program.  If the City will support
the program merely by asking teachers to attend and providing a meeting place,
their HPS will teach the teachers about radiation and will give them instruments
that will detect and measure radiation.  All this at no charge to the city or the
teachers.  Ask them to contact Don Farley (donald.farley@ucr.edu) of the Southern
California Chapter.  If there are problems, get back to me or contact Ken
Mossman (ken.mossman@asu.edu).

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov