Re: EC sources

At 12:21 26.08.1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Franz:
>
>There are devices made here that incorporate tritium as an ionizing agent
>in electron capture detectors. The source is a metal foil with titanium
>tritide adsorbed onto the foil. One problem is the tritium comes off the
>foil very easily, so contamination control is of utmost importance to
>prevent the whole place from becoming contaminated (fume hood mandatory).

Rich,

Thank you for this information. My doubts concerning tritium were
especially directed to the contamination and the ease of desorption of
tritium from any material. Even Ni-63 might be desorbed because of the
Ni-carbonyl compounds which might be formed during the passage of organic
compounds, but sure tritium will be desorbed even without any chemical
interaction. These practical considerations might be the reason why I never
have heard or "met" a tritium-EC-detector.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria