Re: textbooks

Andrew

I'm a little puzzled. I didn't respond to your initial query, because you
didn't indicate what sort of (i.e., what level of what student body)
introductory text you were seeking. Now, I'm definitely curious. The
diversity of the texts cited below is very wide; some are more complementary
than exclusive, and some are not really comparable at all. For instance,
Cember is the standard (I believe) for an intro course at the college or
graduate level, and it seems to me that Turner is competitive. Gollnick,
contrastingly, is the standard for training at the RPT level; i.e., for
folks who, bright though they be, frequently do not have an academic
background beyond high school. Moe is the DOE's venerable operational hp
training manual, and is probably pitched somewhere in between ("higher" than
"lower"), but is aimed squarely at the practicing HP/HPT. Who is it needs an
education, and to do what with it?

chris alston
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu

At 10:44  08/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to everyone who responded to my query regarding introductory
>textbooks.  It looks as though the most popular texts are Cember, Turner,
>and Gollnick, although there were good plugs put in for Moe, Cooper, and a
>few others as well.  It will be a tough choice.  Thanks again for your help!
>
>Andy
>
>Andrew Karam, MS, CHP
>RSO, University of Rochester
Chris Alston
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
I am not here a representative of my employer.