Re: Salaries

Several observations on employment and salaries:

I've talked to one of the universities that has an HP program and they
recently went from 1 job announcement to 40 job announcements.

The Federal government (apparently) recently enacted a salary bonus
system for HP's and engineers-Mr. VP wouldn't do this if they were
getting the people that they want.

Many radiation programs are in sorry shape and need help.

I see a relisting of these $40-$50,000 jobs, many times. Several I've
seen relisted for 8 months. These jobs seem to be ultimately filled by
entry level people. This is why I check to see if the author, asking for
help on RADSAFE, is a member of the HP society. Professionally I want to
make sure that I'm not reinforcing an employers decision to hire
non-experienced help by providing free guidance.

If you check either the ISU or Univ of Mich job listings, they are long.
It would be informative to have the salary ranges for these jobs because
many are above the $40-50k range.

Staff jobs got hit in the latest business trend, ie cut all non-product
jobs to the bone. These trends last about 5 years and this one is
probably on the way out. Recently the newspaper ran a story about
engineers and other science types getting signing bonuses ($10,000 and
up). Salaries are starting to move.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that the lower paid jobs have the
most number of requirements. For instance, they want a cover letter
expressing interest, resume, their own 46 page application form filled
out, 3-10 letters of reference, a salary history, ORIGINAL transcripts
from college, and a birth certificate. No e-mail applications accepted.
No wonder these jobs are having a problem.