RE: USA licencing regs

David,

The NRC is limited by the Atomic Energy Act to regulating by-product
material (e.g., fuel cycle and reactor produced).  All other radiation
(machine, accelerator produced, naturally occurring) is left to the
States to regulate or not.

So the answer is Yes, you can be regulated by the NRC and the State.
Many states (30 at my last count) are also known as Agreement States.
These States have taken over the regulation of by-product material from
the NRC.  This avoids the duel regulation problem (to some extent).  The
NRC has responsibility to ensure these Agreement States have radiation
protection programs for by-product material that are Adequate (to
protect people/environment from radiation) and Compatible (have similar
requirements to the NRC when deemed required).

Note that the NRC retains responsibility for all nuclear reactors.  So a
research institution with a reactor could still have duel regulation
(NRC for the reactor facility, the State for everything else).

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP, Director, Environmental Health & Safety
International Isotopes, Inc.
3100 Jim Christal Road
Denton, Texas  76207
Wdunn@intiso.com <mailto:Wdunn@intiso.com>