Re: USA licensing regs -Reply

Tom-

The issue of who is in charge of the FUSRAP sites has been the $64,000
question for about a year now.  We in Oak Ridge have been asking
USACE, DOE and NRC officials that same question since the transfer of
the FUSRAP program to the Corps.  NY State has asked the same
question to the Corps and the response was that they (the Corps) have
no authority for the FUSRAP sites-- they are only performing the cleanup,
and will comply with CERCLA. The Corps believes that DOE still "owns"
these sites.  DOE maintains that since no funding was provided following
the transfer, they can't possibly be expected to exercise control over
these sites.  NRC meanwhile has been dragged into these discussions
over FUSRAP.  I understand that they could not exercise their Atomic
Energy Act (AEA) authority over some of the FUSRAP sites, though they
certainly could license a number of sites.

The most disturbing aspect of these events was that after years of
studying and characterizing these sites, DOE was making significant
progress in remediating and removing sites from FUSRAP.  To many
involved with FUSRAP, the transfer appears to motivated entirely by
political posturing in Congress.  The latest I heard about this was that
GAO was planning to investigate the transfer of FUSRAP.  Stay tuned.

Regards,
Eric Abelquist
abelquie@orau.gov

>>> D1.OUT."tom#u#dixie@email.msn.com" 08/28/98 01:00pm >>>
There were some basic discussions about USACE and FUSRAP and
regulation.
This is a very interesting area that I have heard many things about, but
can
offer no comments because I just don't know.

Can somebody offer some information about how FUSRAP sites are
controlled
and how sub-contractors area licensed to do work at these sites.  I have
talked with some people doing work at some sites and have heard that
no
licensing is required.

This just don't make sense to me.  Is the USACE in control under and NRC
license?  Is DOE in control - or at least providing some sort of
administrative license support?

Does anybody know?

Tom O'Dou
tom_dixie@msn.com