Re: Nuclear medicine rooms shielding

Dear Hassan
Shielding calculations for nuclear medicine are very special
because they require a complete knowledge of all the operations
with radioactive materials in the installation.
First of all you have to determine the workload of your
installation, W, in mCi.hr/wk. This is done by taking the no.
of examinations per isotope and the avg time required for it.
As an example 300 examinations/wk with Technetium-99 for bone will
give tipically 1500 mCi.hr/wk.
The equation used for calculations is:

k=P.d.d/WT.gamma

where: P is the permissible dose in the point of calacul.
       d is the distance from the camera to the point of calcul
       T is the occupation factor
       gamma is the exposure rate constant
 The TVL for Tc-99m are: .083 cm (Pb), 6.6 cm(Concrete
The no of TVL's is given by: log(1/k)

As for the hot room I used a 3 mm Pb thickness of the external
walls and a separation wall with 5mm Pb between the storage and
preparation area, depending of course on the workload and
geometry of the installation.

The only reference I found is the excellent paper of
J.p.Bhatnagar,"Structural shielding Considerations in the
design of a Nuclear Medicine Department", presented at 26th
Annual meeting of the HPS, 1981,Louisville, Kentucky,USA

Good luck!

Sergio Faermann,Ph.D.
Inst. of Oncology
Soroka Medical center