Re: Value of a Person-Rem

Many values have been used in the past. While at my particular
utility, we used the value of $10,000/rem saved. However, this was
not a go-no go proposition. A lot of factors were considered.

The real question to be asked is, what risks will be avoided to
justify this cost? If one is under the opinion that there is a high risk
if the radiation dose to be received by an individual is not reduced,
then a higher value will be used. If the opinion is, the risk is low,
then a smaller value will be used.

I conclude that too much has already been expended, and
continues to be expended, when the scientific information supports
that the risks are lower than had been used in the past, warranting
these significant expenditures.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205

ICN Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer