Re: Article from Union Tribune

It seems to me that "hyperbole" describes this article better than "bias" and I
suppose I resent the picture of greed-crazed know-nothings of 1956 (the first
year I was able to vote). Lots of us were both poor and thoughtful in 1956.
Also, there are tailings piles along waterways throughout the West and Southwest
-- we once went (in 1967) as guests on a boy scout raft trip that put in to the
Dolores River next to an unmarked(!) Union Carbide tailings pile.  This was
truly unethical practice, and I believe the pile has been stabilized since.
This was near the town of Uravan, CO, Have there been noticeable health effects
from these piles?  If the Moab pile has been there for 40 years, the Colorado
isn't suddenly going to start being heavily contaminated in 1998; contamination
would be gradual and would probably be a more or less constant concentration by
now.

Also "poisonous chemicals?"  Lots of stuff is "poisonous" if you drink it
undiluted.  The vague reference to "poisonous" "tosic" etc "chemicals" is always
disturbing -- tell us what you are talking about, please.

Moving tailings piles is also a two-edged sword.  Where would it be moved to?
How would it be moved? What good does moving without stabilization do?  Would
stabilization in situ be preferable to moving?

Finally, what is the purpose and point of this article?  Clearly the local
people know about the tailings, as does the DOE, NRC, and actually anybody who
has been interested in the Western uranium mines.  The article does not inform
-- there is precious little information in it.  It appears merely to conjure up
the old mixed bag of pure environmentalists who want the pile moved, greedy
thoughtless Cold Warriors, waffling DOE spokespersons, and do-nothing NRC, that
the press seems to use as fillers on slow news days.

A parting shot: has the incongruity of San Diego's dependence on the Colorado
for drinking water occurred to any reader?  Why does San Diego depend on the
Colorado?  Because the population and development have dried up the California
rivers, and California won a big political battle over Colorado River water --
read the Congressional hearings on the Central Arizona Project, for openers.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth Weiner
rfweine@sandia.gov______________________________ Reply Separator