Re: uR/hr vs. mrem/yr

Andrew J. Schwartz wrote:

> Is there a way to relate an exposure rate from monazite sand to a dose
> rate?

One of my favorite ways to do this is to take a reading with a portable
sodium iodide detector/MCA such as a [product name omitted, but you can
e-mail me for an example], that folds in photon flux-to-dose conversion
factors into a live-time dose equivalent rate.  A bonus is nuclide
identification.

Of course, you could do an MCA reading manually, identify the nuclides, and
then fold in the flux-to-dose conversion factors yourself, but what a pain!
If you do this kind of thing a lot, the investment in a product such as
mentioned above is worth it.

Best of luck,
Scott
--