Re: Respect

Hey Everyone,

	A Ludlum Model 3 with a pancake probe is a decent instrument for
medium to high energy betas.  It has an average efficiency of 5% for
C-14 and 15 to 20% for P-32 and Si-32.  S-35 is only detectable in
large quantities, so I wouldn't use it for self surveys after jobs.
Some have already mentioned that you can't use this meter for H-3.
We use LS counting for all of our H-3 needs.  If you are looking for
a specific beta maybe calling Ludlum would help.
	As far as all the hoopla concerning Diana's question,  I think the
question was fine.  Yes, with a little research, anyone could have
found some of these answers.  Diana mentioned that asking this
question was also a way to get to know some people in this filed.
Knowing people is sometimes one of the most important tools you can
use.  Anyone who thought that this question was basic should remember
that there are many areas of rad safety out there.  A person may be
very familiar with one but not others.  I worked at a reactor for ten
years as a HP, but when I started working in this University setting,
I had a bit of a learning curve to catch up on certain things.
	Respect for other people is very important.  There are always going
to be people we meet that have no respect for others, but that
doesn't mean we should feel insulted from their lack of respect.  We
should feel bad for them instead, because they just don't get it.