Re: GM probe efficiencies

Brian Gaulke
09/04/98 11:18 AM

Bob Milwicz wrote:

"If the commonly used isotopes are:
C-14, S-35, P-32, P33 and Ca-45 which are all beta emitters and if a
survey meter like the Ludlum Model 3 with a Model 44-9 pancake probe
are being used for surveys, what are the counting efficiencies that
you use to determine the activity present and at what distance from
the source are you determining your efficiency? I raise this question
because I hear different efficiencies when I ask other people this
question."
One point for responders to include is related to calibration of their
calibration sources.  This could be either a 2 pi or a 4 pi calibration,
causing results to vary by a factor of two.

Brian R. Gaulke, CHP
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau
Health Canada