Re: RE: GM Response (formerly Respect)

I believe that calibration source certifications are usually corrected for
backscatter, although you should read the fine print carefully.  Such a
corrected certification probably states the "apparent" 2 pi activity.  Then,
if your source also has backscatter, you then have to correct for that in
assaying the source.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

<Bill:

<One quick question: I'm a fan of Knoll, but don't suppliers of NIST sources
<take the backing material into account when they give the 4 pi dpm values?
<If your detector and source have the same area, should it matter? Having
<said that, I've seen mysteriously different efficiencies when using a 12
cm2
<source to calibrate large-faced (126 cm2) detectors on different surface
<types.

<Jim Herrold
<Radiation Safety Officer
<University of Wyoming