Windowless counters and static

We used NMC PC-2's (gas flow windowless counter) at a site I used to work
at, and never had any static problems noted with non-conductive materials.
We ran our (P-10) gas flow at a few CC's/min with a 120 sec (I think) purge
when we changed samples.  The only problems were when we'd get bad gas
that'd apparently "crud" up the inside of the chamber and cause high
backgrounds.  Of course, alcohol will cure many problems....

Brian Rees
brees@lanl.gov