RE:

Instead of a 'contact' reading, which is really largely a function of
detector size and geometry, why not make a measurement at a distance of at
least 5-7 times the diameter of the dial, thus approximateing inverse square
and use the age old formula for Ra-226 to convert to activity.  You may have
to make an intergrating devcice (eg TLD) measurement, but that would just
give the calculation more reliability.

Ron Kathren