Re: Landauer's New Badge

Regarding the new Landauer TLD discussion, the availability of new data
regarding your ALARA program should be reason enough to use the new badge,
or some other TLD or dosimeter with similar detection capability.  If you
are currently using badges with detection thresholds of 10, 20 millirem or
more, think about the potential to recognize a person getting higher dose
than others (if even though its only 10 or 20  mrem a month) because there
is something in their work place which may be causing that unnecessary dose.

The low dose is not the issue, just talk with some radiation workers or
people that work in the vicinity of radiation work.  The best philosopy is
to minimize dose - not only from a regulatory standpoint, but also from a
legal ($$) standpoint.

Accept that not everyone will accept 100% that they have always received
dose that you don't account for on their dose record.  The new technology is
great, use it - maybe this is the beginning of a new world of radiation
measurement technology.

By the way, we will be converting soon.  Our normal annual doses are less
than 50 mrem per person - for our most exposed workers.

Tom O'Dou, CHP, RRPT
Program Manager
High Hazard Services
Las Vegas, Nevada